Thursday, March 14, 2013

Work it.

I started work yesterday. 

12 hours of being a nurse. Not a nursing student. Not an almost-done nursing student who knows the unit and can almost act like an RN when it's 3 a.m. and everyone else wants to doze at the nurses station. 

12 hours of being a nurse. It was busy and scary and strange and fantastic. I got lost in the "back porch"  -- the back end of the floors where the med rooms, supply rooms, lounges, meeting rooms, transport elevators, etc... are located. I said "Let me check on that" when I had no idea what to say. I charted. I gave meds. I even took the medications out of the crazy machine that holds all the meds and requires a fingerprint to get them out. 

I got a coffee on my way (Starbuck's Pikes Place with steamed milk). I packed a huge lunch: a peanut butter sandwich, clementines, raw carrots & green beans, some leftover quinoa mixed up with salad & sunflower seeds, and Special K. I wore a scrub top from school and new scrub pants (somehow they're too short but they have awesome pockets).

B walked to the train with me. He even came to meet me after work (my work is a 20 minute walk from his). We stopped for dinner on the way home -- wine and pizza. I came home, showered and promptly fell asleep on the couch. 

Just a day as a nurse. 


No comments: