Sunday, March 24, 2013

An announcement?

Nope. 


After losing our baby more than a year ago, there's been an empty spot in our lives. But life remains good. B and I both have fantastic jobs. I graduated nursing school, passed my nursing boards and organized 90 percent of our home.

I know that sometimes people hope for an announcement that we're expecting again.

I don't know when that announcement will happen. And I don't want to disappoint anyone about it, but I'm not sure that I want to make announcements early or with too much excitement because there is SO much unknown with pregnancy.

I feel the way people glance at me sometimes -- with that "Are you?!?" look. They watch to see if I'm having a beer. Or if I mention feeling sick or exhausted recently. A delightful blog I read (mostly about fixing up a home) talks about these "Are you pregnant?!?" excitement that people get -- a "State of the Uterus Address" that's a very kind-hearted "shut up" to all the lovingly uterus-centric people out there. 

I can't wait to have a baby. But I have all the patience in the world for the process. I feel very little urgency about getting pregnant or announcing a pregnancy. Pregnancy is complicated. 

Lots can go wrong. (Going to nursing school and working in pediatrics only emphasizes how many things can go wrong or weird or bad with kids.) Having a healthy, happy kid -- it's miraculous, beautiful stuff. Stuff that I hope for with my whole heart.

And despite the best wishes of our friends and family, having a baby is going to be a scary situation whenever it happens. Right now as we wait for this all to get moving along -- whether the wait is long or short, rough or smooth -- best wishes (not questions or eager concerns or advice) are all we need. 

Thank you.

This pic is from Niagara Falls -- what's over that edge? A crazy-huge waterfall, that's what. Scary. But beautiful too. 

No comments: