Sunday, November 4, 2012

A long night

I worked last night -- daylight savings turns a 12-hour shift into a 13-hour one. And you have to make sure all the charting, clocks, machines and monitors understand the time change too.

I worked Friday as well -- which was our busiest night so far. Admissions, ventilated patients, complications happening before my eyes... BUSY. I walked in the door at 8:30 a.m. and tore my scrubs off! Not like a naughty nurse from a dirty movie, but like a real nurse. B (who is in the running for best nursing student husband ever) carefully tossed everything in a hot cycle in the washing machine and started a hot shower for me. 

Saturday night was calmer. The unit was still busy -- and lots of little problems that can make everything harder came up. I woke up a doctor again. I lectured a patient about taking deep breaths. I changed a patient's diaper and bedding without getting them out of bed. I answered questions from families. I helped with a tough blood draw. I helped (for the sixth time this weekend) re-tape a ventilator tube.

Mostly, I acted like a nurse.

And after pre-requisite classes, pre-requisite classes for the pre-requisite classes, information sessions, applications, ice breaker events, introduction classes, skills labs, pathophysiology, pharmacology, a lot of tests, a lot of books and a lot of work, that feels wonderful. Even after 13 hours.

Santa Barbara sunset! Gorgeous.

No comments: