Saturday, October 20, 2012

Walking like a nurse

I've started my final clinical rotation -- clinical role transition. I'm in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit with an awesome nurse who's been there 9 years and is both serious and funny. She's very instructive and I learn a lot by just sitting next to her, but she also asks me questions and lets me try new things.

Among those amazing new things I'm learning to do without looking scared and shocked:

  • Check vitals on sleeping, awake and angry kids
  • Monitor vital signs with monitors, check the monitors and get the monitors to shut up.
  • Set up a room for a new admission (which means hunting for supplies).
  • Ask doctors questions. I totally embarrassed a resident by calling him "Doctor Lee" instead of by Joe. He started laughing at me. I think that was hazing. :)
  • Check on beeping in rooms. There is a preposterous amount of noise in hospitals. 
  • Hold down a kid to put an IV in. If you've ever noticed a kid being obstinate about something like eating green beans, multiply that by a hundred and you're getting a little close to how pissed they are about getting stuck. 
  • Identified problems -- like low BPs, weird lung sounds and off-kilter input-output (not peeing out  most of what's going in). 
  • Spiked IV bags.
  • Given additional fluids through IVs.
  • Woken up a sleeping doctor to update them and ask for orders.
I love it. I really love it. 

How weird is it that I'm thinking about getting a pediatric stethoscope? I already found an orange one line... my how a wishlist can change! 

1 comment:

M.I. said...

You should practice on NG. She's terrible at the Dr's office :(