Monday, October 15, 2012

Nights

Tomorrow I start working nights for my final clinical -- my capstone clinical in a PICU. I'm excited to begin and totally, completely unsure how to handle working 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. two to three days each week.

I've done 12-hour shifts -- that's not a big deal. It's longer than any workday I've had before, but nursing is busy enough that the four extra hours don't seem ridiculous or any more exhausting than the previous 8. But this night shift is a little crazy. I'm taking some advice culled together from a classmate, B's odd know-how about such things and possibly common sense.

I'm staying up as late as I can tonight, so I can sleep as late as possible tomorrow. I drank coffee when I got home from school this evening. I've started packing food for the long night (peach crisp, ravioli with tomato sauce, Special K so far). I'm bringing back-up shoes, scrubs, socks and under-clothes in case things are disgusting or uncomfortable. I'm planning routes to the hospital. I'm planning backup routes in case traffic is stupid.

I can't believe nursing school has moved so fast and I really can't believe that I'll be done in December. How can this be? It be, and I'm excited for working and being a nurse not in nursing school.

That will feel wonderful. No matter how late I'm up or how odd my schedule is. I'll be a nurse.

Almost there!

This photo is from our trip to San Diego -- we took a ferry ride to Coronado. It has no relevance to this post.

No comments: