Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fall food

I love fall food. I love apples, I love pumpkin and I love squash. 


We're part of a produce share so we don't have much choice in the matter, but with fall comes wonderful things like soups, pies and warm bowls of oatmeal with apples in the mornings.

Here are just a few of the fall treats we can't get enough of:

  • Salsa -- Our farmer seems to have amazing luck with Mr. Stripey tomatoes. These little green guys are useless in some ways, but delicious in salsa with a jalepeno, some onion, some lime, salt and pepper we have a fiesta ready to go.
  • Squash soup -- We roast halved squash for 30 minutes or so, scoop out the squash "meat", and let it bubble away with onion. Add stock and blend! We add a variety of goodies like cream, crispy prosciutto, herbs, etc... to add to the yumminess, but squash soup is pretty awesome.
  • Apples -- We toss these in oatmeal, with a few ingredients for a crisp or just into a saucepan to make into a sauce to have with porkchops. I like to slice up an apple, sprinkle on some cinnamon-sugar and take it along my drive to clinical.
  • Pumpkin -- I've opened just one can of pumpkin so far this fall. I added it to oatmeal and made a mean pumpkin latte. Amazing!
Hope you're all enjoying some fall eats!

No comments: