Monday, October 8, 2012

Marathon

Fall in Chicago comes with the zany weekend that is Marathon Weekend. 

B and I usually stay far away from the big race, but each year I'm excited to know a few of the 40,000 runners who make it 26.2 miles through Chicago in October.

A part of me always thinks that I'll maybe do a marathon one day. And another, possibly more connected to reality part of me, thinks that 10-13.1 miles is far enough for my strong legs.

I love running. I love working out with nothing more than sneakers. And my iPod shuffle, sunglasses, running top from some long-past race and a ponytail. I love listening to music and radio programs as I dash down paths. I love making the loop at Winnemac Park near our house. I taking deep running breaths.

When I run I feel tall and strong.

But I know my limits. Running takes a lot of time -- especially when you're training for a long race. And lots of running far allows for lots of injuries, weird feelings, exhaustion, cramps, aches and -itis-type problems (inflammation!). A marathon will remain in on the list of maybes for me.

I can rock a 5K race (3.1 miles) and I'd love to do a 10K soon. I'm a maybe for next year's Soldier Field 10-Miler. For now I'm just going to run.

Here's me post-10-miler. Whoa!

No comments: