Saturday, February 23, 2013

NYC -- Things I learned

Just over 24 hours in NYC. Lots of time with my amazing BFF, lots of trains, lots of good food, lots of fun.

Today I learned that Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is a Broadway play, but not a musical. If I had thought about this at all I probably would have figured it out, but I didn't think about it at all. I just looked around at all the lights and screens and craziness of Times Square and completely agreed to see this very serious drama. It was great -- a beautiful set, gorgeous costumes and a great performance by Scarlett Johansson. 

Also, Chicago's Transit Authority has nothing on New York's. The train here is crazy. It's insane. There are letters and numbers and a billion of colors. Julie got us around just fine and I'm pretty sure I could spend a day studying the maps and still not find my way. It's a marvel for sure. And NYC is expanding it! Zoinks!

The best part of this trip is seeing how gray, rainy days can still be massively fun with a BFF, a decent pair of boots and enough know-how to avoid getting poked in the eye by umbrellas. We were at Bed Bath & Beyond for a quick errand and the cashier asked if we were twins. Best friend time is the best. 

Tomorrow we're off to Chinatown, crossing a bridge possibly, more shopping, seeing some sights, cooking a bit and watching the Oscars!

No comments: