Monday, January 28, 2013

Show some love!

Once on Beverly Hills 90210, a show that I continue to love for being ridiculous and dramatic, heartthrob Dylan McKay took his (annoying) girlfriend on a Valentine's Day date.

It was hyped as a mysterious, secret, sexy date. They'd be lying down, or something. 

In a lovely twist, Dylan and Brenda donated blood.

Today (finally) I got to reenact this lovely date and gave blood with B. To be precise, B gave an entire pint of Whole Blood in about 5 minutes and I gave two units of Packed Red Blood Cells (which takes closer to 30 minutes). 

The pint of blood that B gave will help three people -- people who are sick or injured. That pint will restore fluid volume on someone. Doctors and nurses will be worried about a patient and that unit of blood will hopefully zip up to the floor, get hooked up to an IV and help someone live. How cool is that?

And Packed RBCs are awesome -- it's like a little package of oxygenated magic for sick patients. Packed RBCs can strengthen weak patients. Amazing.

Not everyone can give blood, but a LOT of us can. Afterward I feel a little lousy, but I feel better very quickly after. And the lousiness I feel is nothing compared to the magic of knowing that I've helped people. 

If you want to give blood check these sites:

No comments: