Thursday, September 6, 2012

Proud.

Last week I watched the Republican National Convention. I didn't like it, but I did like knowing what was happening. We have PBS so it's easy to flip on such news events and sit back. There's commentary, zero commercials and a mute button.

This week I watched the Democratic National Convention. I can promise you our house felt happier this week, but more importantly I felt prouder than I've ever felt as a democrat. 

I'm proud to hear about President Obama helping the auto industry. There's a Chrysler plant near my hometown where the new Dodge Darts are being built -- jobs! I half-expected President Bill Clinton to begin his remarks as he cruised around the stadium in an American-made car, but alas....

I'm proud to hear support of gay marriage -- or marriage to whoever you love. 

I'm proud to hear support of equal pay for equal work -- the Lily Leadbetter Act was Obama's first piece of legislation and seeing Leadbetter onstage at the DNC got me all teared up. She's a strong, southern woman: "Equal pay for equal work is an American value." Vice President Joe Biden said, with a sparkle in his eye: "President Obama knows that making sure our daughters get the same pay as our sons must be every father's bottom line."

I'm proud to hear politicians talk about taking care of veterans -- spending time at the Hines VA Hospital made it clear to me that caring for veterans is an important commitment and one that takes money, resources and care. 

I'm proud to see that education is a priority -- from preschool all the way to college. San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro: "Pre-K and student loans aren't charity. They're a smart investment in a workforce." He's right to see the value in education -- it's the path to just about anyplace you want to go.

I'm proud to hear our First Lady -- Chicago's own -- Michelle Obama talk about the challenges families face today and how those are the concerns President Obama has on his mind (not the concerns of cooperations, for instance). 

I could not feel more proud to hear almost every speaker mention a woman's right to determine their own healthcare needs with their doctor. Abortion is just part of that. Contraception is just part of that. But asserting that women are the ones making decisions -- with their doctors, without judgement and silly requirements -- makes my Planned-Parenthood-loving heart sing. Michelle Obama: "He believes that women are more than capable of making our own choices about our bodies and our healthcare."

I loved hearing President Clinton speak -- his speech was long and policy-heavy, but also smart and full of charm. He spoke of democratic ideals and made clear that those ideals are both morally right and economically successful. "Poverty, discrimination and ignorance restrict growth. It hurts us all."

I won't go on and on about all the things that made me so excited to vote in November and all the reasons I believe in President Obama. But I will say that each day that I'm closer to being a nurse, each moment I dream about being a mom and each time I realize how far I've gotten because of my education I also feel prouder to be a Democrat, a liberal and a woman in America. 

President Obama: "We understand that this democracy is ours. We. The People. Recognize that we have responsibilities as well as rights."

This photo is from a Cubs game where 3 Navy Frogs landed on the field after jumping out of an airplane. It's seriously one of the coolest things I've seen -- they carried a Navy flag, a Cubs W flag and a U.S. flag -- pretty awesome.

No comments: