Friday, May 9, 2008

Stimulating the economy, and hopefully my running routine...


Just this week I felt pleasantly startled by the U.S. government's $600 deposit in my checking account. Thanks!

I swiftly sent an automatic, online payment to a credit card and (slightly less swiftly) strolled over to Fleet Feet for real, genuine running shoes.

Just today I was "fitted" for running shoes. A very nice woman measured my feet's width and height sitting, standing and bending. Then I put on some "demo shoes" and followed her outside. The very nice running store woman asked me to run down the street, lunge, bend and run down the street again. Embarrassing!

But apparently helpful. I am a neutral runner. I don't run on the insides of my feet or the outsides of my feet. I do a heel-to-toe motion as I step. I need lots of padding in my shoe and support for my heel and ankle.

I tried on four pairs of shoes. Thankfully these expensive running shoes are all so preposterous looking I won't wear them outside of my runs because I'd be humiliated. One pink and gray pair was so cute I immediately dismissed them. And I found the ones.

My new shoes are wonderful! My toes can wiggle like crazy, which is good, they say. My ankle and heel stay right where they should be. They're shiny silver and a bit silly-looking. But they're my real, honest-to-God running shoes.

If you see a silver blur tomorrow dashing by you - it might be me! Zoom! Or maybe just your tax rebate... spend wisely!

1 comment:

Johnny5 said...

Why do all running shoes these days have such a science fiction aesthetic anyway? I'm just going for a 3-mile run, I'm not traveling 50 years into the future.