Monday, February 21, 2011

If we don't stick together we're nothin' (Newsies quote!)


I'm a union gal. OK, so I'm not in a union, but I'm the sort who supports unions, including teacher's unions and unions like AFSCME which support civil servants.

As a little girl I had union stickers on my Little People Schoolhouse. My dad struck (striked?) as part of a teacher union. I worked at the Dept. of Labor preschool and union friends helped all us teachers through a crazy transition between companies, making sure we had exceptional benefits and generous pay increases.

These life experiences cement my view as the type who supports workers, and not everyone agrees with me. I'm rather opinionated about the union issues happening in Wisconsin of late, and in the U.S. in general. And, because I spent more than 9 hours today with 2-year-olds I hope you'll forgive me for listing my points:
  • If you don't want teachers to be treated well I suggest teaching for a day or two. I'm a part-time teacher, but in my 9.5 hours of work today I changed about 12 diapers, cleaned one bloody nose, sang five songs, switched shoes to the correct feet on three kids, rubbed one child's back to help him fall asleep, asked 18 questions about the weather, filled out 10 daily forms explaining everything that happened to each child I was with for their parents, and cleaned up 7 milk spills. I love my job and I'm glad I have it. But I deserve to be treated well.
  • Balance is everything. My job comes with all the silliness listed above, but it also comes with a lot of fun, a free membership to the Y and a schedule that works impeccably with my school-life. People who chose to teach (or plow snow, patrol streets as cops, etc...) do so understanding the balance between their interest in teacher/public works/safety, the downsides and upsides. Everyone does this -- the argument for public employee's benefits and wages is a public one.
  • Is it extreme for teachers to demonstrate their power with sick-in protests? Yes, it is. But it's a mighty powerful way to make a point. And to quote B: As for the teachers, I can’t think of a better lesson to teach our children than to exercise your constitutional rights stand up for what you believe, especially since we don’t have civics classes anymore. While you may view this as teachers simply wanting to preserve their “cushy” benefits, as I said before many union members believe their right to organize is a fundamental one, and a sick-out is a very small sin in the larger scheme of things. Certainly the labor leaders of generations ago, who were beaten, intimidated and killed, would have found it relatively minor.
  • Give a little, take a little, right? That's what negotiating is. If a union (or an individual for that matter, private sector employees) can't come to the table and discuss giving and taking -- there's a problem. I believe in compromise and I believe in giving with you take, or taking while you give.
  • If we want to spend money on anything - anything at all - please let's agree it's on children and learning. Consider the remarkable teachers you've had (Mrs. Sker!) and the moments of your childhood that made you who you are. If anything is worth every penny it's education. I believe that. I don't think I'm alone. Education and other public services are being (and have been, for years) shorted in favor of less-worthy things. Let's put our money where our mouths are, or where our kids our, or where we were as kids - whatever. It's worth it.
I'm certainly rambling here. I'm a little stir-crazy from a day inside with 2 year olds, a nursing school info session this evening and preparing for Election Judging tomorrow. But I'm a proud friend of unions and children. I hope you are too.

No comments: