Friday, December 22, 2017

Seasons, traditions

I love season and I love traditions.

But we don't even have a Christmas tree up and it's December 23. And we haven't made a single cookie. And that is totally fine.

We have taken walks up and down the streets of our neighborhood looking at holiday lights, ooohhh-ing, aaaahhhhh-ing and discussing all the things we see. We have had hot chocolate several times. We shopped Damen After Dark to check out some of our favorite stores on a fun night. We play a lot of music. We've gone to a lot of parties. We read Christmas books (but probably will read them more in January).

I'm trying to do ALL THE THINGS, but also to chill. I want to enjoy the moments when Daily and Franklin play together on the floor. I want to dance around. I want to stir soup while I hold my kids up to help. I want to take snow walks and eat candy canes and open cards we get in the mail.

Someday I will totally have my shopping done early. I will be coordinated. I will balance work, kids, sleep, shopping, doing fun stuff, being spontaneous, being politically engaged, responding to emails and spending like 5 minutes by myself reading a book. Someday.


But for now, I will be really happy that today I can check off my list that I set up a cool train scene for Daily and Franklin. And that I did good at work and made dinner and snuggled my kids and drank wine while B and I watched a show. And that's amazing and merry and bright.

Here's Daily and I at the Wrigley Winterland Market. We skated! Daily made it around a few times and sorta loved it. There was also a big screen showing The Grinch so I'm not totally sure what she was thinking. But it was glorious to skate and skate with Daily. And we topped it off with a mug of glug or whatever that warm-wine is. Divine!

No comments: