Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A sad realization & an awesome day

Day shifts are fantastic.

It's busy! People are buzzing all around -- doctors, residents, med students, therapists, chaplains, families, social workers, nutritionists, supervisors, educators, teachers, everyone! It's a little crazy sometimes, but I love busy. I love the bustle and the conversations and the moments where you feel like you're part of a team, not a lonely RN in the middle of the night.

Day shifts are wonderful.

I woke up with B, we shared a bagel, took the train together, stopped for Dunkies coffee (best coffee ever) and he walked me to my work.

After B & I parted ways I ran into a friend from nursing school on her way to work at a hospital next door to mine.

I went up to the floor where I was assigned to work and saw a nursing school pal who works on the floor I was on. And I re-met a long lost friend from prereq classes at Truman who just started as a new RN. One of my nursing school clinical instructors, who is awesome, was on the unit with a group of students! She gave me a hug and bragged about me to the nursing students. A CNA (certified nursing assistant) told me that we have a friend in common (a Youngmark!).

My day was too busy for lots of chit-chat. But my patients were awake and their parents were too. I switched floors, which is part of my job, at 3PM and went to another lively place. I had two new patients who were lively and awake.

I know I'll go back to nights in a few weeks. It'll be OK. But I don't think I'll get wrapped up in the extra money or the strange vampire schedule. I like busy. I like days. And I love my job. Yay!


No comments: